What came first Trust or Truth?

Communication. Words. I love it. I thrive on it. I crave it. Whether it's talking, reading, writing, or listening. Whether it's through a book, an article, a song, a movie, or a person.

Talking is the most common thing to do, yet amazingly sometimes, it's the hardest. It can be difficult to form into words the inner most thoughts. To relay in the appropriate manner, one's exact feelings, wishes, and desires can often be impossible. It's at the times that we most need to speak, that we come face to face with silence, and the times that need silence, we find ourselves saying too much.

Words mean a great deal to me. They have a huge power in my life. I watch TV with closed captioning on almost all the time, which drives the rest of my family crazy. I have to hear each word, know the exact dialogue. It doesn't matter the action at times, as long as I can follow the conversation. I spend hours reading quotes, poems, and other's thoughts. I get high on the brilliance of intelligent conversation. How people use words, manipulate them, twist them, and form them inspires and moves me. I remember conversations sometimes, almost verbatim. I pick up on small phrases, euphemisms, even prepositions.

Words can hurt me more than actions. I guess that's why honesty is such an important issue to me. Maybe I should have been born in an earlier time when a person's word was a solemn vow. Sadly, honesty can hurt so terribly bad. I'm one that longs for truth. I'm more forgiving, usually, if someone is honest with me than if they lie. After all, the truth is suppose to make us free, right? But how great is freedom if there is no one to share it with? If the truth that brought about that freedom hurts someone else, if it hurts you, is it worth it??

I guess to have truth one must have trust. One's trust must be strong enough to handle the truth. The trust in people is too weak. That's why we must go to a higher power. We must place a trust in God in able to have truth. If we have trust in God, then no matter what truth life may bring to us, we will be able to survive.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28) It's impossible to truly love someone if you don't trust them. So therefore when we trust in God, we can handle the truth because He's going to work everything out for us.

Comments

chantell said…
Kim, this is a great post. It just resonated within me and it made me stop and think. I feel the same way as you do about honesty. I'd rather someone hurt my feelings with the raw truth than try to preserve them with a pretty lie. Trust is so necessary to handle truth. That is awesome. Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love