School Daze

I've only been back to school 3 days, and I'm already exhausted, phsyically and mentally! Here goes a recap...

I had to report to school at 7:45 Monday morning for a student teacher's meeting. I arrived, received a schedule that was all messed up, and found out my first class wasn't until 10 am. So I went to pay my tuition fee. $1956 for one semester that I'm only taking 9 days of classes for to turn around and go teach for FREE! So then, without thinking, I buy a parking decal for $15. I realize too late that my old decal doesn't expire until the 31st of August. My last day of class is the 1st of September. I could have not bought a parking decal, parked at the library for one day, and saved $15. Then I had to buy a thin, paperback book for a 9 day class that cost me $51.50. On top of that, they told us that we had to subscribe to a new online site for the semester called "Taskstream", which we will use to keep record of our STAI assessment and grades. Another $25 out for that. Did I mention that my scholarships and financial aid ran out last semester, so all of this is coming out of mine and my parents' pockets??

On top of all the money situation, we have to fit 37.5 hours of class into a 9 day period. That means, 8-12 everyday of just one class. But oh, they scheduled our teacher for other classes MWF 8-10. So that means that we have to go 8-1:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays and 10-1:30 on MWF. And on top of that, we didn't have a room assigned, so we've switched rooms 4-5 times. Thank God teachers are flexible!

The first 2 days of class go well. We had a few homework assignments, but nothing big. Our teacher comes into today with a whole new syllabus and a whole new list of assignments. In 6 days (that's all that's left now), we have to teach a chapter of the text (1 to 1.5 hour presentation) with 2 other class members, give a 15-20 minute individual presentation, and create a Classroom Management Portfolio. Now, I wouldn't complain too much if this was given in a regular semester class. But, Hello, I have 6 days to get this all done. Oh, and the last day of class we have a Final Exam also. I'm highly stressed right now.

Well guess who is in the lucky group that gets to teach class first?? Ding, Ding, Ding...you guessed right...ME! After we had our class discussion, (more about that later -- it was great!) which lasted over 2 hours, we had 45 minutes left to meet with our groups and discuss a game plan for our teaching. Did I mention that we have to use some type of technology, different teaching methods, different activities, and have some type of assessment. So I threw together a PowerPoint a few minutes ago, and I pray that the rest of my group has their act together!

On top of that class, we have several seminars we have to attend, and we have to go through a CPR class. Now, I already became CPR certified this summer. I have the card to prove it, but I still have to stick around tomorrow and possibly Friday to retake the test and blow in a dummy.

I was a bit nervous about beginning my actual student teaching and getting into the classroom, but after today I'm thinking it may be a breeze!

I was seriously contemplating giving up, until our class discussion today....but more to come on that later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love