My First Day on the Job

Friday was my first day at O'Bannon High School as a Student Teacher. Not too much eventful things occurred, but I do believe it's going to be an interesting year for me.

The first rule of being a new teacher is not to smile until November. Veterans say that it's good for you to be stern and strict your first years of teaching so that the students don't take advantage of you. Well I realized Friday that not smiling is going to be extremely hard for me!

One of the teacher's I was observing had a student who wouldn't quit talking. Finally he asked the student to take a note to another teacher, advising him to take the long way and to walk very slowly. About 5-10 minutes later, I saw the boy walking down the hall. In the front of every class at the very top of the wall, there are several windows. The student climbed on top of the lockers and got up in the window and started waving at the class. I instantly fell out laughing. I'm going to have a hard time staying serious when they do stuff like that.

Another teacher asked a student what he thought about Ms. Rigney. The student asked who he was talking about. The teacher replied, "The lady who was sitting in the back of your classroom." Again the student said, "Coach there wasn't any lady in our class. There was a new student in our class today though." The teacher said, "Boy that wasn't a student that's your student TEACHER." I got a kick out of that story. Sadly, he wasn't the only one who thought I was just a new student. It was funny to see their reactions when they found out I was going to be one of their teachers!

I have a staff development meeting tomorrow. The life of a teacher! The students are out, but us teachers have to go to school anyways! More stories to come, I'm sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love