This Means WAR!

First, if you don't like my blog, don't read it! I got the dumbest comment from an anonymous reader on my "Am I that Transparent" post. Some people are rather ridiculous!

Anywaz, here's some details of my uneventful life...

I got a call today from someone at Delta State, and they would like me to come work at Delta State in the College of Education as a Graduate Assistant. That means that I would be in Graduate School. That means DSU may be paying my tuition to get my MASTERS! I'm very excited about that!

Secondly, I had to write a teaching philosophy. I got really into it, so I thought I would share it with you all. I must admit I had some help, but once I got my "theme" I jumped in!! Here goes..

The United Stats is at war. It is a war based upon culture, race, and socio-economics. Caught somewhere in the middle of this war are precious children, and if adults are not careful, the children will become the casualties of war. Teachers are the soldiers that stand bravely on the front lines. The enemies are teen pregnancy, violence, drug abuse, illiteracy, lackadaisical attitudes, and a deficiency of sufficient parental involvement. As an educator, I choose to take my place on the battlefield and fight for the lives of the future using several weapons.
My first weapon used against the enemy is my own teaching rationale. The purpose of education is more than just imparting content knowledge to students. Although knowing how to read, write, and add are extremely important and relevant tasks, education must also teach students how to make wise decisions and become better citizens. For example, if students are educated on how to prevent sexually transmitted diseases, then they are less likely to contract AIDS. Students must be taught how to make moral decisions, make the world a better place, and succeed in life. Because the world changes, politically, socially, and culturally, teachers must continually gain new knowledge to compete with the external influences that bombard education. I choose to expose myself to all types of information in order to meet the needs of my students and refuse to pretend that a textbook offers the only information relevant to a child in my classroom. Most importantly, I must prepare my students for life and show them that they can achieve more than what the enemies have to offer.
Another weapon to stop the enemy is an appropriate teaching and learning climate. Classrooms are mini replicas of the world. Diversity between genders, races, personalities, and learning styles exists. Students must learn how to work together while feeling safe and motivated. If students feel that they can learn, they will. Numerous studies prove that students will live up to the teacherÂ’s expectations. It is the teacherÂ’s role to create this environment and positive expectation. It is the studentsÂ’ role to work efficiently and cooperate with the teacher and other students. Obviously, not all students learn at the same pace. Vygotsky believes that learners grow by receiving input from others. Therefore teachers must be willing to assist students and give them encouragement that will push them in the right direction. Teachers must recognize those students that do not accomplish tasks as quickly and pull them up while pushing faster learners to achieve more.
Relevant content is another tactic that can defeat the enemy. Curriculum that is used to teach students needs to be interesting, challenging, and attainable. The more interested the student is in a subject, the harder they will work. Also students should be challenged yet should not receive work that is unrealistic for them to complete. Curriculum standards on all levels should be revised yearly to coincide with the events of the time and should be tweaked individually by each teacher to meet the needs of the students. Technology must be incorporated in every class to broaden the aspect of content being discussed; various resources and media should be used to keep the attention of children growing up in such a fast pace society.
Lastly, a teacher can conquer the enemy by being a professional. Each day I must challenge myself to be more and to work harder. Teachers need to reflect on each student and lesson and decided how to better reach a student or better present a lesson. Teachers can give a deathly blow to insufficient parental involvement by contacting parents on a regular basis and collaborating with them on certain projects. A teacher can help end societal problems by involving the whole community with activities. When everyone works together, more can be accomplished.
I can successfully fight the war of education by having a positive teaching rationale, maintaining an appropriate teaching and learning climate, using relative content, and showing professionalism. This war may never end, but I believe teachers can keep the enemies at bay. However, we must be willing to fight daily. Our weapons must never be laid down but sharpened each day by learning and reflecting. I firmly believe that saving our children is a cause worth fighting for, and I am willing and honored to stand up and fight everyday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree. If people don't like your "uneventful life" they shouldn't read your blog! You tell 'em girl! By the way, I check your blog everyday!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love