Only at O'Bannon

The trip to Montgomery, AL was a blast. The people that were hosting us, the Children's defense fund, didn't have a clue about what they were doing, but O'Bannon High School had a great time regardless.

We were on a charter bus with 3 other schools, but O'Bannon kept the bus CRUNK (as my students would say.) We brought movies to watch and even broke into a rendition of "The Jefferson's" theme song, among other songs. Then we stayed up til 2:30 playing UNO and Spades with the kids in the hotel room.

Monday we went to the Rosa Parks museum and the Civil Rights museum. Both of those were pretty cool. We were suppose to go to a re-enactment of the Mass Meeting where Al Sharpton was preaching, but our kids voted to stay at the hotel and play cards. That night one of the students braided my hair. I had corn-rows. It was GREAT! My CT thought I was one of the other students when he first saw me.

Anywaz, it was a great time, and I really got to connect with the students that went on the trip. I know it was the first time I've ever spent the night with 6 students...especially black ones. And I'm sure it was their first time being with a white girl. So we had a great multi-cultural time. My CT tells me that great teachers transcend race barriers, and I think he's right.

Other good news: I got a job offer at the other school at Westernline School District. It's just until August, and then we're all hoping something permanent comes up. I won't be teaching History. I'll be more of a monitor for a career discovery program. But it's close to where I want to be. It gets me in the door of the district, and will begin my retirement plan. I know I made the right choice.

Tomorrow is my last day of Student Teaching, so I'll fill you in on all the tears tomorrow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love