Sometimes It is TOO late.

I discovered that yesterday as I laid on the couch in our living room with a bloody gauze in my mouth. I've come too far now; I can't turn around.

After years of procrastination, I finally got braces in January. A little late for someone who's 22, but I've never been fond of committing when it came to metal and pain. Anyway, I've had to deal with the soreness of braces and the ulcers and scrapes one gets in her mouth. Then yesterday, I had to have 2 pre-molars removed. What an experience!

So I go to the Orthodontist Monday morning at 9 to get my braces tightened. Then I head over to my regular dentist an hour later to have 2 teeth extracted. Well the doctor began to give me the novicane, or whatever numbing medicine it was. I'm sitting in the chair, squinting my eyes because it's stinging just a bit. Come on, there's a needle going in my gums here! Well after that, the doctor leaves me there for a few minutes in order for the medicine to have time to take effect. Well moments later I feel myself going under. I'm sweating, feeling nauseated, and about to fall right out of the chair. I saw the garbage can over in the corner and I thought, "There's no way I can make it to over there. I'm going to have to crawl over all this dental equipment, and I don't have the strength. Great, I'm going to puke all over myself."

A few minutes later, one of the dental hygienist called over to me and asked if I was doing ok, to which I replied with a very feeble, "No." She walks over and hollers for the doctor to come. They began wiping my arms and face with cold rags. They elevated my feet, and had me move my arms and legs around. My doctor told me I was suffering from syncope, which is just a fancy word for fainting. After my blood pressure returned to normal, and I no longer felt like I was going into the light, they proceeded to yank the teeth out of my mouth. No real pain has ensued since then, but it was just kinda nasty with bloody gauze in your mouth.

It was hours later that I realized how cheap I felt. I had succumbed to the world's vanity. I might as well have put myself on some talk show to get plastic surgery. I was inflicting physical pain just to have straight teeth. Why would a normal, healthy person put herself through such straints. It's peer-pressure. I've become one of those...those girly-girls that spend too much time thinking about appearance. In the end, I'll have spent thousands of dollars just for straight teeth. Man, I feel so dirty!

**Sigh** I have to go back to the dentist tomorrow and have 2 more teeth pulled! Did I mention that I'm getting my wisdom teeth cut out this summer too! There is no turning back now, huh??

Comments

chantell said…
Reminds me of when I got my wisdom teeth cut out . . . they were "impacted." They hooked me up to an IV and the last thing I remember before going under was the dentist asking me what I liked to eat for breakfast and I was telling him, "Eggs, grits, toast . . " Then the next thing I knew, I woke up with a mouth full of gauze and had to be led back to the car cuz I couldn't walk straight. Fun, fun.
when i got my wisdoms out (per my orthodontist who demanded i do it so my teeth didn't go back out of line), they packed my mouth full of gauze. it had to stay there for several hours after, but i couldn't wait that long. i threw up, except there was no where for it to go, thanks to the gauze. and it had to stay in. that was one miserable day!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love