Logic vs. Illogic

The best advice I've heard recently is "You can't use logic with illogical people." Once we realize this statement, we know there are some battles that aren't winnable. It doesn't matter how right you are. If you're not dealing with a logical person, they will never understand.

So is the situation with my family. My Nanna died this past June, and since then my mother has been dealing with some very illogical people. My aunt, or ex-aunt as she has so boldly proclaimed, is number one on the list of illogical people. Somehow she has gotten this stupid notion that my mom, the executrix of the estate, gave me money from Nanna's estate. She also thinks my mom has bank CD's of my Nanna's money in her name. She thinks my Nanna paid my way through college.

Now here's the logic. My Nanna was living on social security. She received a couple thousand dollars a month on which to live. She was able to apply for Medicaid in the last 2 years of her life. It was only because of the Medicaid that she had any money saved when she died. The remaining savings after her death was $3,000-4,000. Obviously, if Nanna was on Medicaid and social security she wasn't paying thousands of dollars to put me through college. She had no money in which my mother could take and put into CD's. She had no extra money that my mother could give to me after her death. But this is all logic, and my family can't understand that.

My aunt also believes that she owns half of my Nanna's house. When my grandfather died, it stated in his will that my aunt, the youngest of his children, could live in their house as long as she wanted. When she decided to move out, or if she died, the house was to be sold and divided equally among the kids. My grandfather died before my grandmother did, however. My aunt had already moved out of the house. This meant that the statement in my grandfather's will had no importance. The house belonged to my grandmother after my grandfather's death, and my aunt had already moved out. Upon my grandmother's death, as stated in her will, the house was to be sold, and the money divided equally among the heirs. My aunt is furious with my mother because she believes that she should get half of the profits from the sale. Again, it's logic that she just can't understand.

Now because my aunt feels like she's suffered some terrible wrong, she wants to sue the estate and my mother. She has accused my mother of things she has no proof of, she pretty much harasses my mother with dumb, illogical emails, and yet she thinks she has a case against my mom. See the illogical thought pattern??

The logical thing for her to realize is that if she keeps complaining and bothering the estate lawyer, the judge is going to throw out the will. That would mean that the estate would have to pay a lawyer to be the executrix, everything given away in the will and anything else taken from the house would have to be returned and then bought back.

I hate stupid people!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love