The Sweet Release from Closure!

Closure, wrap up, Epilogue.
Sometimes you need more than just "The End."
Sometimes there has to be more to the story.

This is especially true when there's a breakup. In a lot of cases, one person is ready to end the relationship while another is still holding on. Things end sometimes badly and people spend years, lifetimes even, trying to figure out what went wrong. Sometimes you aren't even aware that you need closure. It's as if you go through life not completely whole but unaware of what your missing.

That was me. Unaware of needing closure. I'm the one that broke his heart. I'm the one that put a sudden stop to things. Why would it bother me? 7 years later, I find that all I ever needed was an acknowledgement. I got much more, I got an apology.

7 years ago, I had my first boyfriend, Mr. Miata. We dated for several months. He was 18; I was 15/16. He had gotten really attached to me, and being as young as I was, I became really attached to someone else. (A whole other story). To make a long story short, I broke this boy's heart. I never really thought he liked me that much. So we broke up, he moved away some months later. Now he's married and has a child on the way. We've kept in touch some and have actually been friends despite the distance.

Yesterday, he emailed me. He said he wasn't sure what was possessing him to write to me, but he felt compelled. He told me that 2 young people in his youth group had just recently broken up. The boy had gotten his heart broken and asked Mr. Miata had he ever experienced anything like it. Mr. Miata then told him the story of our relationship and was able to help that young guy. Mr. Miata told me he finally understood why things happened like they did, so he could ministry to someone else.

Mr. Miata went on to say how living in Greenville was some of the best times of his life. He says he always smiles when he thinks about a conversation we once had. I think about that same conversation quite often and have a laugh myself.

What touched me the most was his apology. He didn't have to offer it. I never asked for it. I didn't even know I needed it until I read it. He knew he was older and probably made me feel obligated to do things or act in ways I really didn't want to. He asked me to find it in my heart to forgive him. His last line....Our personalities connect us for life, Kim.

I teared up reading the letter, and had I been at home, I would have probably curled up and sobbed. That chapter of my life is now finished. I'm not left wanting more. I'm complete. I'm closed. I have been released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love