Camp Meeting Joys and Woes

Ahh. The refreshing feeling that comes after District Campmeeting. I usually am not a camp goer. I have to work, or I don't have anywhere to stay, or just don't have the money to go and eat out every night. Now that I'm a teacher with summer's off...I got money and time. Thankfully, I have a friend who let me crash at his house. (Don't worry, he still lives at home with his folks.)

Doug White preached the last 3 nights of our Camp Meeting services this year. If God had a brother, it would be this man. I tell you the word of God that comes forth out of him is just amazing. Every time I hear him preach, I always come back refreshed. Last night service was phenomenal. I made God a promise that everytime I get frustrated, I'll listen to the CD of that service. I may need to make a copy of that CD because it will probably get worn out pretty quickly.

On a completely different note, camp meeting is a great time to fellowship. I usually get to see people from around the state that I haven't seen in a while. It's always good to reconnect and catch up on everything that's going on. Then there are the new people you meet, new friendships and connections.

Herein lies my problem....meeting new guys. I hate it. I think this may be the reason why I shy away from camps and camp meetings. Maybe it's not the money or the time, it's the emotional issues. I meet a guy, he seems nice, he's not interested. I meet another guy who's not my type but totally interested. A friend meets a guy she thinks I would like, but I wasn't hanging out with her and so I was only briefly introduced to him and don't even remember what he looks like. I get all confused about which one I should give my attention to because you can't sit with 3 different groups during a service.

I don't really want to be single my whole life. It would be nice to eventually get a boyfriend and settle into some type of semi-committed relationship. However, I always find a problem with the guy. If I don't find a problem with the guy, then he's not interested. Why is that? Here is my thought pattern...

Wow, he's a nice looking guy. But ya know, his laugh is annoying. He's a bit too country for me. And I'm not too sure I'm fond of those boots he's wearing. But he's really nice and down to earth. He's got a good paying job, good family, and loves God. But he's not really involved in any ministry. Well, I'm not exactly destined to be a preacher's wife. I mean, my standards are not the most strict. I'm probably doing the most I'll be asked to do right here where I'm at now. But he's a really nice looking guy. We could talk, maybe even date. But I'd hate to date him knowing that he's not my type. What if I hurt his feelings. I'm not 15 years old anymore. I can't just date guys and then dumb them. People my age are looking for mates. We don't have time to play around. It would probably be best if I just forget about him.

And that's the reason why I'm almost 23, not married, and haven't dated anyone in 6 years. Not that I feel like I'm an old maid by any means, but my actions are definitely not leading me in healthy direction!

Comments

Jewel said…
Wow, Kim, you expressed the state of being a pentecostal single so well! I've been there....believe me. I am now 54, married 20 years, meaning I didn't get married until I was 34. Don't get discouraged..*grin* BUT...you will know when you meet the right one. That's all I can say. I gave my heart to the Lord when I was 23. I dated quite a few guys in the ensuing years, but when I met my husband, I knew. It was that simple. He knew. I knew. And we were straight-forward with one another, meaning there were no questions in our minds. I didn't have to wonder if he felt the same way and vice-versa. You will know when the right one comes along.

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love