Taking Responsibility for Being Dirty!

Acceptance is so important. It's vital to growth. People have to know that you accept them for who they are. It doesn't mean that you have to agree with them, just agree to disagree in a civilized way.

Those were some of the main ideas we discussed in last week's leadership class. I'm learning that sometimes things just aren't your fault. It's not always someone's fault that they have certain character flaws. It's a result of their surroundings and their childhood development. That is why we must accept them for who they are, faults and all.

Now, on the flip side, although it may not be your fault, you are responsible for yourself. Does that sound like a contradiction?? Then please let me explain. My Pastor gave this analogy. He's dressed for church, Sunday suit. He walks out to the mailbox before service and while he's at the road, an 18-wheeler drives by and splashes mud/water all over him. He's filthy. It's not his fault that he's dirty and his clothes are all messed up. Someone else did it to him. But let's continue that story. Let's say he decided to stay in those clothes and come to church. He walks around telling everyone his sad story of how someone got him dirty and how it wasn't his fault. He smells, he's getting dirt on everyone and everything. People look at him as if he's crazy. No, it wasn't his fault that he got mud thrown on him. However, he must take responsibility for his appearance and clean himself up.

When we discover our faults, it would be easy to say, "Poor me, look what my parents did to me" and use that as an excuse to continue in our faults. We must discover our faults, realize that it isn't our fault we are that way, but do something to change who we are.

I refuse to be needy or show weakness. As a result, I'm untrusting of others and rarely ask for help. This is not only in personal relationships, but also spiritually. This part of my character isn't my fault. I was raised with boys, having to suck it up and be tough. Other people in my life taught me to be this way. Certain circumstances made me into this person. My pastor helped me to see that having this attitude is not healthy. It's not even pleasing to God.

God gave us weaknesses so that we would depend upon him. Paul prayed that God would remove the "thorn in his flesh." God didn't do it; He told Paul He put it there on purpose. Instead of complaining like I would have, Paul was happy about it. He realized that without that weakness in his life, he may become to proud and independent. That weakness helped him to see realize his place in God and reply upon him. For in our weakness is God strong!

Now, does this mean that I'm about to change immediately and become the perfect, needy person? No. It took me 23 years to get here and it's going to take tons of help to change this trait. Only with God's help, am I going to be able to change and heal. But I guess that's the first step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love