Inspiration from Evan Almighty

It's amazing where one can get spiritual inspiration. Today, it came from the new movie, Evan Almighty. For those of you good people who refrain from movies, here's the 411 on the movie.

Evan runs for Congress with a campaign promising to "change the world." Life seems to be going good. He wins the election, moves into a new house, and is getting royal treatment at the capitol. His family thought they would have more family time; his wife even prays that their family would draw closer. Yet, Evan is staying really busy. During all of this, Evan is visited by God, who tells him to build an Ark. The movie is basically Evan trying to avoid his calling, and everyone thinking Evan is crazy for hearing from God.

Evan's wife and kids turn their back on him at one point. They also think he's crazy; going through a mid-life crisis. God (disguised as a random waiter) speaks to Evan's wife and offers this advice:

When someone prays for patience, does God automatically give them patience, or
opportunities to practice patience? When someone prays for courage, does God automatically give it to them, or an opportunity to be courageous? If someone prayed for their family to be closer, do you think God would automatically give them warm, fuzzy feelings or an opportunity for a family to draw close and support one another?


I couldn't help but relate it to the situation going on at my church. I know specifically, I've prayed for God to give us His love. He isn't going to just place that warm, agape love inside of me. He is giving me situations where I can practice His love. Trust me, I'm getting plenty of practice. It would be easy to take a side in this war and disassociate myself with the "bad" side. However, I would be just as wrong if I didn't show God's love. I have to love and forgive in spite of the trials. I pray for strength, and God is giving me opportunities to gain it.

God makes us work for stuff. He won't violate our will though. Sometimes we are too blind to see that He is giving us exactly what we've prayed for. It just doesn't come in the package we thought it should, and therefore, we miss it. I want to be sensitive enough to know when God is answering my prayer, and be willing to accept it, however it is wrapped.

Comments

Great post - really enjoyed this. Good luck..

Popular posts from this blog

Where? When? Here! Now!

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter