A Touchy Subject

**This post is not written to offend anyone. It is strictly my thoughts on a very sensitive subject in Pentecostal/Apostolic/Holiness Movements today. You may or may not know anything pertaining to "Dress Standards" in these churches, but if not, maybe it will help you understand why things are the way they are.**


I have been raised to uphold certain standards in my dress and appearance. Women are to have long hair and to only wear skirts, not rising above the knee. We are not to wear make-up or jewelry, except for a wedding ring. All of this is to be done in order to be an example to the world and be pleasing in the sight of God.

I have upheld these rules, for the most part, for the past 24 years of my life. I have questioned them often. I even did a study with my college and career group a few years back. The principles behind them made since, to a degree, and there were a few scriptures to back them up, so I accepted the status-quo.

As certain events began to arise in my life, I've again begin to question a lot of the teachings of my denomination. I can't doubt my experience with God. It is real. I know my doctrine is solid. But all the judgmentalism that existed within my fellowship was disheartening. I just didn't see how "holiness" could be so ugly.

I've been in plenty conversations when these "Standards of Holiness" were used as a measuring stick for someone's walk with God. I have been guilty of saying, "Did you see so-and-so's skirt? I mean she knows better than to show her knee. And I hear she's been trimming her hair...shame on her!" Many of us in this movement have taken what was told to us to be a consecration to God and made into a spiritual thermometer.

So what are the standards for then? Is it so we can gossip about our fellow brothers and sisters? Is it a way to measure if we are living up to a certain potential? Are we losing God's favor if we don't look a certain way?

There are tons of discrepancies in dress standards because they are man made. So a year ago, I decided to trim my hair. I had several inches cut off. I was honest before God when I did it, and I didn't feel any remorse. I felt no shame in it. I did not feel any conviction from the Holy Spirit. Last month, I had my hair layered. Again, I have not felt any different spiritually.

I'm not bitter or resentful towards my parents and those that taught me these beliefs. I know that they were just telling me what they thought was right and what they had been told. I don't feel like I've missed out or been hindered by following these standards. However, I do believe that they taught me how to be judgmental towards those that did not do exactly as I did. I also believe they have pushed many people away from God because they felt they would never measure up.

Letting go of these traditions is not something that I feel I can vanish from my life quickly. I realize that even though these are my feelings, my leadership roles and responsibilities affect many others in my life who would not agree with me. So I am taking this process at a snail's pace. However, I am so thankful for a new church where I can be free to have my own opinion, and where I can grow into the person God wants me to be.

Comments

i love that you posted this. i'm ashamed that i never had the guts. i'm on your page!!!
Anonymous said…
My only comment is....
well written....Amen.
Melissa C.
Anonymous said…
Great post Kim. I started the same crossroads a while back. It is a slow process finding and deciding what I really see in Scriptures and what I find as tradition. I can totally relate to the hair issue. I wont say too much on it but your story sounds just like mine!Good stuff here!
Anonymous said…
So - stumbled across your blog today and was got interested because you sound a lot like me. ha! I am so sorry for you... lol. Anyhow, I wanted to throw my two cents in here as well. I must say that I too have found the judgementalism of Apostolic Pentecostal people down right nauseating.

I was not raised in this truth, and the "traditions" as you say were not forced upon me. I have shocked many people on my view of the standards.

I choose not to cut my hair because I beleive that my hair gives me the authority with the angels when I pray. I believe in holiness and that a woman should be modest and covered and I abide by those standards. However, I do not believe that not abiding by the standards I have placed on my life are what is taking me to heaven and condemning another to hell. I'm sorry.

It is not the length of someone's hair or the lack of pants that determines one's spirituality. It is simply their walk with God and their response to the truth.

So - bravo. Well said. I still remain in the so called "traditions" of old time Pentecost, but that is where I belong and that is my true heart's conviction.

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love