Repainting the Christian Faith

Over Spring Break, I read the book Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. Although I know some of my readers despise the book, I really, really enjoyed it.

His whole premise for the book is to show us that Christianity is a living breathing organism, growing everyday. We have to take everything in life and be able to strech and move and bend.

No, that doesn't mean compromise. Obviously there are things going on now that wasn't included in the Bible. We have to able to take the word of God and apply it to our lives in today's society. We have to find an interpretation that after prayer and consideration feels right for us.

I've been finding lately some ideas I always believed were solid, are not so solid anymore. As Bell explains, My religion was a brick wall. Everything fit neatly together and it wouldn't bend or adjust for anyone or anything. As a result of life and situations, bricks were broken and pushed out of the wall, and my wall got really shakey and was almost about to crumble. I realize that I have to be more flexible, more willing to give so that my belifes don't BREAK!

I highly recommend the book. Take the good and apply it. If you don't like something, just ignore it. Read with purpose, but read objectively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where? When? Here! Now!

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter