Love - Cynicism = Christmas

I'm a pretty cynical person. It's not necessarily something I'm proud of, but it's who I am. I work on not being too cynical, but it's a defense mechanism. Sometimes in life, I've found, it's better to expect the worst, that way you don't get your hopes up.

I'm not the biggest Christmas fan around. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love getting and receiving presents as much as the next girl. However, I get a bit tired of all the things we are expected to do just because it's Christmas. You have Christmas parties, Christmas programs, and all the other Christmas activities that aren't done because you want to but because you are obligated to do them. It makes my cynicism hit the roof if not kept in check.

But last night, I was reminded what Christmas is about.

I know a young boy with autism who is mesmerized by me. (I know...as if the boy didn't have enough on his plate!) Anyways, he just thinks I am the greatest thing in the world. I feel bad because at times I can get annoyed by his fascination of me. Well he called me last night and said "Hey, Kim! I know that things will be busy in the next few days, but I wanted to call and wish you Merry Christmas, and thanks for helping my Nonna pick out that CD for me. I really like it." I happily wished him a Merry Christmas and hung up the phone with a smile on face and a very touched heart.

This innocent child, who will never be able to function as normally as others will, was completely content with a CD because I picked it out for him. And he made my Christmas by calling me and reminding me that I am important to him. Perhaps he's the only person that can't stop thinking about me, but at least someone is.

But he's not the only one that takes joy in me. Long ago a baby was born, even more innocent, and He was so concerned for me that ended up dying for me. And that is really what Christmas is all about!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

No Greater Love

The Next Chapter