Grad School Update!

I still haven't received word about the Teacher Fellowship. The State of Mississippi has possibly gotten their act together and signed the budget just in the nick of time. So hopefully, I'll know something regarding money next week!

I went ahead and met with my advisor to discuss scheduling options in case the grant comes through. (Even if it doesn't, I'm gonna try and make it all work.) The School Counseling program is a 60 hour program, and if I take 2 classes a semester plus summer school I can finish everything in 3 calendar years. That works perfectly because the Teacher Fellowship only allows you 3 years. But there are some catches...

  1. The classes I need for the first semester are only offered at 3:30 and 6:00 PM. The University is 45 minutes away from where I teach. That means, the school is going to have to give me the last period of the day free so that I can leave at 2:00 once a week to make it to my classes. However, I can take both classes in 1 day and won't have to travel as much!
  2. The last year of the program is an internship at a school with a counselor. That means I have to quit my job for a year to do the internship. Some internships pay money, most don't. Which translates into no income for a year and a possibility of not having a job in this area when I'm finished.
I've got a lot to discuss with my principal and superintendent. It's really a great opportunity and a great program. When I'm done, I will be able to counsel in any setting, and if I take like 3 extra classes, I can be licensed with the State and even open my own practice if I wanted to.

I'm trusting God to direct the way. If this is what He wants me to do, then He will provide. I'm going to present it to my employers, wait to hear about the grant, and let the Lord do the rest. If it's what He wants, He'll also provide the money once I'm out of a job. And a lot could happen in 2 years that money wouldn't even be a problem. Perhaps I'll win the lottery or have a long, lost, rich uncle die or perhaps I'll meet the love of my life and get married!

Comments

dad said…
I believe that GOD will come through before you win the lottery(you got to buy a ticket to win)or the love of your life showing up( there serving ice water in a hot place)).Last of all you ain't got no rich uncles(you were born into poor folks family)Trusting God going to be a sure thing. Course ole dad might be able to help you out(a little)

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

No Greater Love

Post Election Sadness