The reason I do what I do

So I was feeling the stress from my first few days of "block class" before I go out to do my student teaching. We had discussed horror stories, been given a load of work, and been confused beyond belief. And then the real discussion begins...

We were having a class discussion about establishing rules in the classroom. Many of us were sharing our fears of inadequacy we may have once we actually begin teaching. One fellow classmate asked, "How do I get the students (especially young black males) to take what they've learned out of the classroom. How do I get them to forget their surroundings and take pride in who they are?" This question got the discussion rolling. Many began to share the same question about how are we to reach the kids. We discussed positive reinforcement, personal time with students, and extra-curricular activities.

Our teacher called on "the art major" to add a comment into the discussion. She's a quiet girl who doesn't say much, but we were so glad she did share. She was a girl who fell through the cracks. She was borderline Special Ed, the teacher's didn't expect anything out of her, never gave her any attention, and so she dropped out of school in 9th grade. She ended up getting her GED a few years later, went to college, gained one degree, and is now fixing to graduate with her teaching degree in Art. She's maintained a 3.5 GPA her whole time in college. All the while, some teacher and counselor told her she'd never make it into college and tried to kill her dreams. After she shared her story, the whole class gave her a round of applause for her great accomplishment.

That's why I want to teach...to reach those kids who may not have a real chance. To encourage those students who's parents don't really care about them. To show some child that there is an option besides prison. I want to change a life and make a difference. Will I touch them all?? Sadly, no. However, knowing that I tried will allow me to sleep at night. I know already that I'm going to get attached to kids that aren't going to get the lesson. But as I began to contemplate this whole scenario, it made me think a lot of Jesus. I'm taking this line out of context, but a fellow blogger wrote this and it really made me stop and think of God's great love.
"He died for those that He knew wouldn't choose Him in the end. "

Jesus died for us whether we would accept him or not. That's how much He loved you and me. Our greatest commission is to do the same. We are to love each other despite how they treat us. I'm to give my best to my students everyday, whether they reach their full potential or not. I'm to do my job whether I reach every child or not....but I must try. I must give myself daily to them.

Many of you have heard me doubt my decision to teach. I've wrestled on many occasions when the pressure has gotten rough. Yesterday though, I knew I was where God had called me. I'm sure when the pressures up again, I'll have a spell, but in the end, I'll remember the sacrifice I'm called to give...and continue to do what I do.

Comments

chantell said…
Hang in there, Kim. Oh, I remember the methods block days so painfully well! Teaching is a calling, for sure. And God has bestowed upon you the gifts and the talents, and the patient and loving heart that is needed to be a successful teacher. I wish you all the best!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love