A Metaphor

I was driving home tonight and had to go through a lot of farm land. It was just pure country. The moon was full and bright. It was so bright that it actually offered more light than normal for the moon. I drove across the bridge connecting Arkansas and Mississippi and I couldn't help but notice how beautiful the river looked with the moon reflecting down and it cascading across the water. My sunroof was open and Rascal Flatts was blaring on my stereo. It was a night right out of a country music song. Tonight was good.

There wasn't anything special about tonight. I did spend time with some good friends, but I can't say the activities were extravagant. Just some pizza and baseball. Yet for some reason, as I drove across the Mighty Mississippi River, I had a feeling that everything was finally alright. Almost a year later and that cold, dark road has seen some light. It wasn't a big bright light, just the light of a full summer moon.

As I was driving tonight, the song "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts was playing. For those of you uncultured people who aren't familiar with the song the first verse says:

I've dealt with my ghost and I've faced all my demons
Finally content with a past I regret
I've heard you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once I'm at peace with myself
I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long
I'm moving on

The rest of the song goes to talk about physically moving away to break away from the bad past. However, sometimes a change of scenery isn't going to fix the problem. Sometimes you need a change of self. That's where I'm at. Maybe it took me a year and a trip halfway around the world to find the beauty right here in my own Mississippi Delta. Whatever it was, I'm finding peace with myself. I can't change others, I can't make them into who I want them to be. However I can change me. I can effect me. I can live happily with myself.

Some people may think that the Mississippi Delta is an ugly, barren wasteland. I'll be the first to admit, it has a lot of negative points. But tonight, I found the beauty in it. Maybe it's not the fanciest place to be, but it's fertile and dependable. It's a safe harbor, and it's home. There are countless amazing countries with their sights to behold, but at the end of the day, they just aren't home.

Maybe you understand what I'm saying, and maybe you don't....I guess that's the whole point of this post.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know exactly what you mean!! Greenville MS was not a good place to be,until I left it, moved to Texas, and a month later decieded The Muddy Mississippi Delta is HOME!!!
Anonymous said…
UH OH!!!!
Anonymous said…
Good to have you back. Once you except what you can't change, life will get alot easier. There are family and friends that can only learn through experience. Let them learn. They are only holding you back.I believe you are ready to make "Kim" happy. Enjoy life, you deserve it.
-paperson
Jewel said…
What a beautiful post. I understand exactly what you mean, Kim. I am so happy for you....that you've found that place of contentment. I Tim. 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love