In the Beginning....

...there was huge change!

For the past month or so I've been referring to changes going on my life, mainly at church, with a promise to explain it all later. Well finally I feel like I can explain it all. The reason for my hesitation in blogging about the whole situation was fear. In the past year, this blog has become my reality. The inner beings of my mind are recorded here, for the most part, and when I hit the "publish post" button, I am releasing my brutal honesty out into the open. These new changes have stretched me and required more responsibility than ever before that writing about them would only make it more real. But like it or not, the time is upon me, and so in order to prepare myself for the extremely near future, I'm going to let it all out.

As our Associate Pastor has stepped into the full-time Pastoral role, a total revamp of our church services has taken place. Beginning tomorrow morning, our church will offer Sunday School from 9:30 - 10:30 am. These classes are not just typical bible study classes. They are Christian based, daily application classes such as Health and Wellness, Marriage and Family, Changes that Heal, Financial Security, and Healthy Relationships. After these classes, worship service will be held from 10:45 - until. On Wednesday night service will be from 7 - 8:30. The children will have their own service, the youth their separate service, and the adults will have a bible study time.

Now, you may be thinking, "Wow, big deal? That doesn't seem too life changing." Well my pastor has laid upon me the huge honor of being a part of what I like to call "The Great Triumvirate." Guitar Man, Punk Rock Star, and I have been put in charge of the Youth Ministry. Punk Rock Star and I will both be teaching youth Sunday School classes. Then on Wednesday nights, all 3 of us will manage the Youth Services, which we have entitled REMIX (throwing a wrench into the typical church service). Guitar Man is the music director. Punk Rock Star is heading up evangelism. I am the cultural arts director. (My title includes Drama, Media, Public Relations, etc.)

I must admit that I have been honored and really psyched about all this new stuff. However, I have been extremely overwhelmed by it all. Working with Youth is one of my passions; it's why I'm a teacher. Yet, here I am, 23 years old. I'm pretty broken myself, and to reach out to kids only 5-6 years younger than me is scary. I know that my pastor wouldn't have chosen me if he didn't think I could handle the job. And I know that my pastor chose me only after several talks with God. That's why I'm honored. I'm not too sure what God or my pastor sees in me, but I'm very glad they see whatever it is. I know it will all work out, but getting there is a very hard task for me.

Stepping into this role is requiring a lot from me, not just mentally but physically. I'm juggling the duties of teaching, and being a first year teacher at that, church, and a semblance of personal/social life. It's all very demanding. It's the first time in my life that I've ever felt so ill-prepared. I'm usually a completely confident person, so believe me when I say I'm very uncomfortable.

Despite the fear and anxiety, I have a large group of people cheering me on. Punk Rock Star and Guitar Man keep me focused and encouraged. Whenever I feel like I'm drowning in institutionalization, they remind me that we're doing it all for the right reason. My parents (both sets) are supporting me with words and physical help. My pastor is imparting his leadership skills into my life and helping me see myself in the honest light of God. And not to be forgotten is Sensei. He listens to me rant, he tells me when I'm wrong, and he agrees with me when I'm right. He worries about me, and he wants the best for me. He has become more than just my Sensei; he's become one of my best friends. I hope this little grasshopper can make him proud!

So all these changes may not seem like such a big deal to you. To me, it's the beginning of a new life. Everything before has just prepared me to for this new role. It's no longer about me and my needs. It's now the needs of young people. Not just educational needs, but emotional needs, spiritual needs. I'm not there to make sure they know their history; I'm making sure they have an eternal future. I am just a servant.

Tomorrow morning, my new life begins....

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am very proud of the work you are doing. I do worry and I do want the best for you, even though i know the best for you will at some point involve you leaving..............Let's not think about that.Keep fightin the good fight. Love ya sis.
-Sensei

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love