Prove it!

Lots of stuff has been going through my mind, but there's just not enough time for me to get it down. Here's the latest thoughts....

Why do we as Holy Ghost filled Christians feel the need to prove everyone wrong? We think because we have the spirit of God living within us that we have an edge over everyone else. It's not even spiritual matters that we are always harping on, it's as if our every action is justified by God because we have the Holy Spirit. Last time I checked, we were still imperfect.

If I'm right about something, I don't have to beat others over the head. If they refuse to see my side, and come to what I believe is the truth, it's OK. The world won't end. It's much easier to let them believe what they want to believe. Arguing back and forth never solved anything.

Today was a prime example of this action. A student has been questioning me about my religion. He's admitted that he's hit rock bottom in his life, but he doesn't believe in Christianity because of past experiences. He told me today in class that he's been reading the Bible but he just doesn't believe any of it. He asked me in no uncertain terms to prove it, then he would believe it.

Now, I could have gone on a rampage right then and land blasted him about how one day he'll find out that I'm right and he's wrong when he's burning in hell. I could have laid hands on him suddenly and rebuked the evil demon inside of him. What would that have proved? Only that I'm insensitive and weird. None of those things would have changed his mind. No, it would probably make him doubt more. Instead I took his side; it went something like this.

I can't prove God exists, unless He decided to show Himself to you. I just choose to believe, and I feel His presence at times. I see His effects on certain circumstances, and I know He's at work. But it's just real to me, and I still can't prove it. But then again, can we prove anything? How do I know the world is round, or that we've been to the moon, or any other scientific fact? I just believe the textbook or the scientist that told me. As a matter of fact, how do I know that the color red is really red? I only know it because someone told me and I chose to believe it. If I was raised by a parent that told me the color red was really blue, then red would forever be blue to me. Reality is only what we perceive it to be. There is no real truth. Everything we know is true only because we chose to believe it. So maybe God isn't real, but I choose Him to be so. In the end, I lose nothing by choosing to believe in Him. If I'm right, then I've gained an eternity with Him. However, if I didn't believe and I was wrong, I've lost everything.

My explanation really made him think. At the end, there was nothing left to argue. He could choose to believe whatever he wanted to believe, it was up to him. The ball was now in his court. There is nothing to prove. I firmly believe that God is real, that HE is the only truth. There is no reason for me to force that believe on anyone else. I do share it, but there is no since in trying to prove anything. In the end, God will prove himself.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What? You didn't share Acts 2:38. Don't you know that all he needed was a good dose of the holy ghost. You probably should have told him to come back later when he got right with god. RP
Anonymous said…
Also, about the moon landings. Here is a link that should settle everything once and for all.

http://www.braeunig.us/space/hoax.htm

RP
chantell said…
I hate to break it to the world, but Acts 2:38 is not the end all be all. Give me a break, RP. Keep doing your thang, Kim. :-)
Anonymous said…
My above comments were satirical in nature only. Kim knows me and knows how I think. RP
Anonymous said…
We should all start evangelizing like Nacho!

Praise de Lord! Nachoooooooo!

-Armando

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love