Girl, Interrupted

A friend sent me this article that states anger can fuel better decision making. It made me try and remember a time that I was angry and whether I was thinking more rationally or not? I'm sure most people would say you aren't thinking rationally when angry. You are more likely to make rash decisions, etc. However, sometimes a rash decision needs to be made. Sometimes flying off the handle is necessary. Sometimes it just takes drastic measures to remedy a situation.

Think about it. Of course you've said something in the heat of the moment that probably hurt the other person, but 99% of the time, what you said was true. Of course it may hurt the other person's feelings, maybe even ruin a relationship/friendship, but I guess you have to decide if honesty is more important. Perhaps in some cases it is, and in others it isn't.

I guess I'm feeling a bit ambivalent tonight. But to what extent do you mask the truth. I realize that people don't need to know every single flaw you may find wrong with them. I'm not sure absolute honesty about everything is necessary, but how many secrets do you hide? What is the boundary for protecting a relationship and living in honesty?

So when it finally all explodes and someone becomes angry, all the hidden sins are revealed. Secrets are discovered and words are said in the mist of the anger. Is it then that one has become irrational, or was the act of hiding it all along irrational?

Comments

the lizness said…
Well. Yesterday I was angry, and while the cause of my anger was irrational, it brought out what I was actually feeling at the time, and I was able to identify the issue. Which was surprisingly mature-feeling of me. That made no sense, but I'm just saying that your post is really relevant.
'b' said…
This is precisely why I always say what I think. That way, I never say something when I'm angry that I wouldn't say when I was calm.

On a different note, I don't have many friends. We should examine why.

Popular posts from this blog

Where? When? Here! Now!

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter