A New Diet!

So Sunday my favorite visiting preacher was in town. I think Pastor let him take a look at my blog before he preached, but I'm glad he did. He told me exactly what I needed to hear; it was a great reminder that God is in control.

He talked about when the disciples were on the boat in the middle of the storm. They freaked out and ran downstairs to wake Jesus up. Jesus got a little snippy with them after He calmed the storm and said, "Don't you guys have any faith? Why would you think this ship would sink if I was in it?"

Just a few stories later, Jesus is with His disciples, and they have a picnic, feeding 5000 people with a little boy's lunch. Had the disciples not gone through the storm, had their faith not been tested, they may not have had enough faith to enjoy the picnic.

I suppose it really hit home when the preacher said, "If Jesus is living in your heart, you can't drown. You'll never go under." Hmm...sounds exactly like my fear from my last blog.

So I'm giving up. I made a promise to God that I would quit freaking out about the present situations. I know that I can look back at situations that I thought were hopeless and see how God moved. So knowing that He's calmed the storm before should reassure me that I'm not about to go under now. Of course, that's always much easier said than done.

So as of Sunday morning, I've been practicing a bit of self-control and God-reliance. I didn't freak out today when my students weren't giving it all they had. I didn't freak out when I received stressed out texts from students' parents. In the past 2 days, I didn't text any guys out of boredom who would only fill my life with more drama . I told God that guys are completely His department now. If they are suppose to be in my life, they will contact me. I am not going to stress on whether I am doing enough on my own to make situations work. If they talk, I'll talk. But I'm not gonna keep dragging things along if it's not meant to be.

Favorite traveling preacher also said something else in his sermon that was very true. I don't want to need God. I don't mind him blessing me and doing good things for me, but I don't want to admit that I need God to come through and rescue me. But whether I want to admit it, it's true. I can't do anything by myself. No matter my futile attempts, it's never go to work without God being in control.

So I'm starting my first diet...and hoping to lose a lot of worry!

Comments

Randall said…
More Calvinism at Grace Fellowship. Looks like we are headed in the right direction. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love