Fulfilling the Purpose!

A month ago, I had the opportunity to teach a lesson in my Sunday School class. I discussed a book entitled "Starving Jesus: 40 Days of Nothing". I talked about how as Christians, we need to reach out to people less fortunate than us, etc.

Well this morning, I had another chance to teach Sunday School again. I just finished the book "So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore." I told the class that I would be speaking about the book, but that I had a personal story to tell first. That way they could understand why this book meant so much to me.

I began to explain some of the turmoil I went through in the past year. I talked about how I buried the hurt of my grandmother dying while I was in Hot Springs, only to let it bombard me when I returned home last summer. I also explained that I felt out of place and was only more alienated when I felt I had been mistreated by "Christians". People I loved hurt my feelings, I got blamed for things I didn't do, and I was left extremely angry and bitter. I also told the class how I felt like everyone was a hypocrite. So much was my bitterness that I hated to come to church. I was ready to quit.

I began to explain my experience in England with the Desire vs. Obligation. Then I explained my epiphany I received driving across the Mississippi Bridge late one night. I told them that all this led up to the point of reading this book.

This book was a lifeline for me. I sat and cried as I read it because I could feel this guy's frustration. I knew it all too well. I began to explain how we have to get a relationship with God first, and then share it with others.

I warned the class not to read the book and go around telling the Pastor that I was saying to quit going to church. I did tell the class that if being involved in so many ministries was hindering them from having a walk with God that they needed to quit everyone until they rediscovered a true relationship with him. That is a decision that I'm wrestling with now.

Anywaz, all of this talk about getting a real relationship with Jesus and discovering who God really is related back to reaching out to the less fortunate. It's what Jesus would do. One guy in our class has already joined forces with a non-denominational group that is going down twice a month to the bad parts of our city and handing out free hamburgers and offering to pray. We're going to try to schedule this guy to speak with our class and hopefully we can help assist him in starting a half-way house or free clinics.

We are also going to start taking up collections of supplies needed at the Tueplo Children's Mansion and deliver those goods to them soon. I'm so excited to see our group moving up and reaching out.

At the beginning of class I asked everyone "What is the purpose of this class?" I stated that Sunday School when we were kids was to learn Bible stories. For our class, made up of young married couples and college/career folks, we've got to take what we've learned and put it into action. If we aren't doing what we talk about, we are not fulfilling our purpose!

Comments

chantell said…
You're an inspiration. "If we aren't doing what we talk about, we are not fulfilling our purpose!" Very, very true.

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love