A Happy Birthday To Me!

I'm not normally a big celebratory person when it comes to brithdays, but this year was pretty decent. A few friends from church gave me some nice gifts, I got some money, and a couple of gift certificates. I got several texts and even more messages left on myspace. Even though it was a day late, SD sent me yet another tree! Now all my co-workers are really talking about me. Most of my students wished me a happy birthday and one class even sang to me! Overall it's been a good few days.

As recently reported, I had plans to hear Matt Maddox preach on my birthday. However, Bro. Maddox's flight was delayed and wasn't able to make it to the conference. Instead, a preacher with the same initials, Bro. Mark Morgan, took the pulpit. I'll be honest and admit that I was a bit bummed out. I thought, I drove 2 hours to hear Maddox preach, not Morgan. I was ready to call it an early night and head back home. However, it was church and you go there for God, not who's preaching. Not that I have anything against Bro. Morgan; I was just expecting Bro. Maddox.

Anywaz, to make a long story short, Mark Morgan delivered a message straight from God! It's almost as if everything that happened had been divinely orchestrated just for me to hear that sermon. Perhaps it had??

He preached "When the Avenger Arrives." He's text was from the book of Romans that says "Make place for wrath...Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord, I will repay." The gist of the message was this: We often get angry because we feel we have been wronged, something has been taken from us, etc. The Lord tells us to "make a place for wrath." However, it's not our wrath we need to make a place for. It's God's wrath. Vengeance belongs to Him; He will repay not us. When we take it upon ourselves to "get even" we are filling our hearts with bitterness, hatred, or anger. As Christians, we should hold that place open and allow God to fill it. We should wait patiently for God to do His work. When the avenger does show up, if that hole is filled with something ungodly, he can't work. However, if we've done things properly, vengeance can be poured out and we can have what was taken from us restored.

When someone lies about me or says something against me, I feel as if my reputation is at stake. Bro. Morgan reminded me that if someone lies they are violating God's word. God takes that personally. It's not my word they have sinned against. It's not my reputation they have marred. It's God's word, and His reputation. If I hold my peace and let the Lord fight the battle I will come out the victor. I often make it all about me when it's always been all about Him!

I'm beginning to see a bit of God's vindication and rewarding, but I wonder what more I could have received if I would have let the Lord handle it all instead of trying to fix it first myself. What a great way for me to start off my 23rd year, treating others as I would want to be treated, despite the injustices done to me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday to YOU!
Happy Birthday to YOU!
Happy Birthday Dear Kimberly!
Happy Birthday to YOU!

If I weren't 25 and all grown up, I'd sing the song I sang as a kid:

Happy Birthday to You!
You live in a zoo!
You look like a monkey,
And you smell like one too!

But, I won't do that, because I'm a mature adult now ;)
Kim said…
Awe thank you!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love