Balancing Act

How do you find balance in relationships?  How do you know when to invest your time and emotions and when you need to step back and guard your heart?  I realize that nothing is certain and there are always risks, but when do you know it's ok to let go and take a risk? Obviously I can't go through life unwilling to invest in others, unwilling to give too much, at the risk of being hurt.  However, I can't go around throwing my emotions, time, and energy to any and everyone.

I suppose I'm waiting for an official "wanna go steady with me?" question, but that's a question that may never come.  (And yeah I know no one says that anymore, but it sure would make things easier.) What I have to realize is this is what I got...nothing more, but fortunately, nothing less.  Is it ok for me to start investing in this regardless of an official commitment?

It's not like I'm missing out on something great by waiting around.  There is nothing else.  I can't say that I would deal with the wishy-washiness of it all if there was someone else.  But I'm not exactly dealing with it out of a lack of anyone better either.  I could have commitment from all the wrong guys.  And Perhaps I'm having non-commitment from a wrong guy too.  But this possibly wrong guy just feels so right.

I know what I really want is certainty, and I can't ever have that.  Even if he did "put a ring on it", there is still no guarantee it wouldn't end.  And I guess technically I'm the one doing this to myself because I keep putting myself out there, but I'm just afraid I may miss out on something great if I don't.  But everytime I leave, I worry I'm taking too big of a risk.

Comments

'b' said…
there are competing schools of thought, but personally, i always went in without inhibition, leaping in and, usually, getting hurt. but at least I never wondered "what if?" when the relationship went south. and ultimately, it worked out well.
if i hadn't jumped in with both feet, i certainly wouldn't be where i am now ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Where? When? Here! Now!

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter