The Trouble With Love Is...

Well my friend Country Gal got married this weekend. I drove down to Hattiesburg for the wedding and stayed with a friend, Kountry Boy. And for any of you that know me, the problem with the story starts here.

I had a wonderful time down in South Mississippi hanging out with Kountry Boy and his family and friends. They are just simple, country folks. I sat and laughed for hours at their banter and accents. Imagine me, a southern girl laughing at another southerner's accent...it was bad, trust me! (Think Larry the Cable Guy) Anyways, I had a good time. We went horseback riding and sat around and talked. It was a good time. Nothing happened between us; there is absolutely no regrets. No one took things to far or assumed anything. We were just friends. It was very nice.

The problem arose on my way home. I'm thinking that I could possibly like this guy. But then I go back to the same ordeal. He's a great guy, but I'm just not sure I can get past the extreme country side of it all. He shutters at the fact that I live in the city (If you could even class Greenville a city). And I'm not to thrilled about living 30 minutes away from Wal-Mart.

All the superficial things aside, He's not ministry minded. Man I hate to sound over-religious, but it's just the truth. He loves Jesus, but he just goes to church and works and that's the extent of his ministry. I'm a youth leader and cultural arts director (I'm going to explain all of that real soon, I promise) and basic gopher at my church. It's hard for me to picture myself just being a saint. I feel like having a relationship with someone like him will only hinder me.

This certainly doesn't make him a bad person. I do not think less of him because he's not like me. However, it does make him the wrong person for me. No matter how sweet or good looking he may be, there are more important things to worry about.
Yeah I could have a relationship with him, but I know that if it came down to marriage, I just wouldn't be able to do it without compromising who I am.

And so what's the problem? I'm frustrated at myself for being who I am. I tire of being the responsible one, yet I'm glad that I am that person. I'm frustrated at the fact that I keep meeting the wrong person. It's so much easier to not meet anyone. I'm ok when there is no one. I'm not ok when there is a great person staring me in the face and I have to walk away. The coaches at school assure me that I'm just too picky and scared of commitment. I think I just have too many issues!

Comments

chantell said…
Wow. I could have written that last paragraph about myself. "I'm frustrated at myself for being who I am." I can totally relate. But somehow, in the end, I know that deep down inside, I wouldn't want to be anyone else and I know that I would be even more frustrated with myself if I compromised who I am for anyone. And I have a feeling you'd feel the same. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter

No Greater Love