How Jacked Up Am I?

That's the question I've been asking myself the past 2 days. My conclusion...pretty jacked up!

So last week I met a guy at my cousin's wedding. I know his family, was introduced to him, and had a great time chatting it up and dancing the night away. We're talking about a good looking guy that's really got his act together. He owns his own business plus has another job, building his own house, never been married, no kids. A stand up guy here. He doesn't drink, goes to church every Sunday, and educated. He sounds like everything I've been looking for. Did I mention that he lives here so it wouldn't be a long distance thing? I could go on and on...opens the door for me, orders for me, gets me a drink just because I look thirsty, throws away my trash.

So my question is, why in the world am I looking for something to be wrong?? I am nit-picking everything to death. Most of the things that I am not a fan of are such small things like...he's got a farmer boy haircut (I can't explain that really just think super thick hair. It's a typical hair cut for guys here in the MS Delta.) He also dresses like a farmer. I'm just not a fan of the Carhart pants. I guess his worst trait is that he has a southern, republican mentality. He's just a good ole, Delta boy, and I have never really been into that.

This is my thought process. "Wow he's seems like a great guy. He's such a gentleman, very attentive to my needs, and has a good head on his shoulders. But what if I can't get past the 'countryness'? What if I end up dating this guy and 6 months/a year down the road I realize I just can't do it? Then I've wasted both of our time. What if I really hurt his feelings? If I liked him, wouldn't I just know? Or is 1 week too short of a time period to know anything?"

I think I'm just broken. I say I want commitment, but I think the thought of commitment scares me to death. All I ever wanted from Unconquerable boy and Mr. Amazing was a commitment, but if they would have been willing to give it, would I have really wanted it? Do I cling to guys like them because it's something I know I can't have and therefore I don't have to deal with the issue of commitment? I have thought about Mr. Amazing since meeting the Good, Ole Boy. I keep thinking...I knew I wanted to be with Mr. Amazing right off the bat. But after the first month, there was nothing to Mr. Amazing. I never talked to him on a regular basis. Everything was always on his terms. He didn't have any relationship with God, he drank and occasionally smoked...all the things I say I don't want in a guy but I still wanted him. (Ok, if God would have allowed it, I would still want him,) And now I meet a guy who has all the things I say I want and I'm just not sure? How messed up is that??

The thing is, I don't want to walk away from Good, Ole Boy just yet. On the other hand, I wish he would discover some horrible flaw in me that would make him want to walk away from me, that way I don't have to figure anything out. I am sick!

Comments

dad said…
You think too much. You're looking for the worst things to happen.Enjoy each day. What happens down the road will take care of its self. Don't worry about crossing bridges before you get to them ,the road that bridge is on might have a detuor before you get to it.Maybe you are so scared of getting hurt that you subconsciously want let God bless you.....AIN'T GOD GOOD.
Randall said…
Good ole boy sounds like a winner to me. :-) Real men don't go around wearing Abercrombie and Calvin Klein unless their girlfriend/wife buys it for them. All his good traits are because he is a self starting, hard working, God fearing, republican. For a liberal you sure are being a little close-minded. Stop posing and be the real liberal you claim to be by having an open mind and not judging a book by it's cover. Good ole boy just might surprise you once you get him to open up.
chantell said…
First off, I must say it struck me as downright hilarious that you listed "throws away my trash" as one of his virtues! lol.

Okay, moving on. I understand your feelings. Part of you doesn't even want to go down that road because you already know you're not feeling him all the way because of his "countryness." But at the same time you're berating yourself because he has great qualities and you feel you might be subconsciously trying to sabotage it by looking for something wrong.

One word. Relax! Instead of looking at him as the potential "One," simply look at him as a guy you're getting to know. Focus on being his friend. Look at him as a person rather than a "candidate." If things happen to go beyond that, fantastic. If they don't, you at least will have gained a friend.

All of this coming from a person who is the world's worst at overanalyzing. But I've come to realize that my constant overanalysis turned the fun of getting to know someone new into a mental exercise of stress and futility. And it's just not worth it.

He sounds like a decent guy. Don't discount him right off the bat. I think God puts people in our lives for a reason. And the reason may be something totally different than the reason we're obsessing over.

Hang in there! :-)
Kim said…
Thanks for all the advice! Chantell, the trash thing is a big deal because I always say I just want a guy who will take out the trash. That's someting my brother, aka roommate, can't quite get right.
been there. with prince charming, in fact. i kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, to find something wrong and scare myself off with internal questions of "what if". had i not made myself at least give it a shot and try to ignore some of my paranoia, i would have missed out on something extraordinary. he and i had some differences (like your aversion to countryness) but as much as i hate to admit it, after ten months of coupledom, he and i have both changed and we meet more in the middle. give it a shot, i say...doesn't have to be years, but you may be pleasantly surprised at how much you fit!

Popular posts from this blog

Where? When? Here! Now!

The Hurt and The Healer...Collide!

The Next Chapter